Kids Co. reach 36,000 and intensively support 18,000 children across London and Bristol. It is inconceivable that so many children and young people are not being cared for adequately, if at all, by social services.
Kids Co. are filling that gap, but for how much longer?
Childrens Realities today - The Statistics
- 3.5 million children in the UK are living in poverty (Barnados)
- Almost 1.5 million children in the UK experience neglect (Action for Children)
- 16% of children aged under 16 experienced sexual abuse during childhood (NSPCC)
- Over 500,000 children are referred to social services as a cause for concern on a yearly basis (NSPCC)
- 500 children’s centres have closed since 2010
- 3850 Social Workers are needed to fill the vacancies in England
- 73% of Social Workers surveyed say they can’t do their job properly, leaving children at risk
- 80% of Social Workers surveyed said child protection thresholds are going up
- 88% of Social Workers surveyed said budget cuts have left children at increased risk of abuse
- There’s been a 47% increase in child protection cases in England over the last 5 years
- And a 45% Increase in Children in need cases, suffering abuse or neglect 2011-12
- Care applications in England are up by 70% since 2008
- Local Authority core funding has been cut by 33% 2011-15
- Early intervention for Sure Start for has been cut by 20%
- 2/3rds of Local Authorities have cut their budgets for children and adolescent mental health
Kid’s Co. needs £13 million to carry on and without Kids Co. these children will be in desperate straits.
Kids co are effective:
The University of London evaluated Kids Company over three years. This independent research found that Kids Company users face the following problems:
- 87% emotional and mental health difficulties
- 84% homelessness
- 83% sustained trauma
- 82% substance misuse
- `Yet of the young people that Kids co supported:
- 94% reduced substance misuse
- 91% were reintegrated into education
- 89% improved their anger management
- 97% found Kids Company effective in supporting their needs
- Gaskell, 2008 (Queen Mary, University of London)
- Kids Co are doing an amazing job and are a desperately needed organisation because, “Fundamentally the delivery of care to vulnerable children in Britain is not fit for purpose” Camila Batmanghelidjh.
- A Centre for Social Justice Report says; “Staggering delays and shortfalls in the provision of care and support from statutory services.” “Systemic failure” “highlights concerns about the effectiveness of some social work services.” “For too long vulnerable children have remained invisible and this report reminds us all of the suffering of children let down by society.
- Kids Co. are going a long way to fill that gap.
THE NEEDS OF CHILDREN HAVE BEEN FORGOTTEN BY THE VERY SYSTEM THAT IS SUPPOSED TO PROTECT THEM.
- Kids Company promotes and supports emotional wellbeing. Their approach is grounded in attachment theory and the understanding of the importance of consistent, long-term ‘loving care’.
- Experience has taught Kids Company that children who suffer trauma, abuse and neglect cope with their pain by shutting down their capacity to feel. Their staff facilitate the healing process through the development of sustained, caring relationships, where both practical and emotional needs are met.
- Kids Company believe that no child is born a criminal or a killer. In their experience, violent behaviour in children is typically evidence of the harm that they have been exposed to. All too often children are penalised for society’s failures in care, when ultimately the responsibility lies with adults who fail to care robustly enough.
- Kids Company are relentless in their love, doing whatever it takes to protect children struggling to survive their childhood.
- Children impacted by domestic violence are thought to be just under 1.8million.
- Domestic violence can leave children permanently traumatised and lead to emotional and mental health problems.
- Children who have witnessed and been subjected to violence and physical abuse can go on to become violent and abusing adults.
- Help Kid’s Company CARRY ON supporting young people to HELP break this vicious cycle.
- We are all born with the potential to be geniuses.
- Nurture is just as important as Nature.
- Given the right help and care we can become whatever we dream.
- Help Kid’s Company carry on by helping young people make their dreams for their lives come true.
Katharine Hamnett for Kids Company available now at: katharinehmanett.com